Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Aironi - Match Thread - Sat 21/04/12

More
12 years 4 months ago #7001

As poor of a half as they've had all season. Reminds you of the same fixture in Italy. Hope Connacht can recover better this time out. Let's show some pride lads!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7002

Ah You on? Sounds like Eric is waving the white flag.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7003

Let's go Adrian get those darts down!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7004

Only took them an hour to get into it.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7005

My apologies to Rodney. Have the draw now need the win.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7006

Tough call on Jarvis, can he do it?

More
12 years 4 months ago #7007

What a save, you're a beauty Matthew!

• Greendragon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7008

Well done Connacht, and well done Jarvy !!!!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7009

Have to give the replacements some credit. Wasn't on for a number of the starters, if they weren't making errors they appeared to be anonymous. Sounded like Nikora had a decent game, young Buckley continues to make a name for himself and Muldoon seemed to be working hard to bring the team back into it. Must say though that hooker is proving to be a bigger problem than I was willing to admit. Not a pretty win, but it's the kind they need to take a step up.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7010

Ok it wasn't pretty and the boys seriously need to deal with being favourites for a game but sod it we have played a lot better than that this season and lost, we were well due a bit of luck in terms of sneaking it at the end.

The inpho-photography site has a few nice pictures from the game today

www.inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/INPHO-Shop.woa/wo/59.0.27.15

Delighted to hear young Buckley continues to develop into a really strong option for us in the front row. Bodes really well for the prop positions next term which compensates a bit for the lack of strength of at hooker.

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7011

Strong finish and fair play to Jarvis for the courage and conviction he showed when I don't think anyone in the ground thought he'd kick it. He'd tried from that range earlier in the season and missed badly but that was some kick.

However as a whole when the initial euphoria of a smash and grab robbery wears off, The Connacht team and management have to ask themselves big questions about the nature of that display for 60-65 minutes. It wasn't good enough and if we're serious about progressing in the next couple of seasons we must have much higher baseline standards and be much more focused. There is the same points on offer for playing Aironi as there is for Munster, Ulster or Leinster.

Really we were desperate, the mistakes being made were terrible for a professional side.

Aironi were very comfortable for most of the match and we could never get enough continuity, phases, solid set pieces together to trouble them.

Once we got the bit of momentum towards the end you could see why they are bottom of the league.

Not good enough and hopefully the players and management will admit that to themselves and hope for much higher standards against Glasgow next week. With Vainikolo, Duffy and Swift going off injured there is the perfect opportunity to shake up the team a bit with a few other changes being needed too if lads don't show the required attitude.

Finally, thanks to the lads (Ray and Henry and the others who weren't on Matthews, Tuohy, Rodgers etc.) for their efforts with us. I wish them well for the future.

It was a pity for Aironi and if it was against anyone else I'd be gutted for them. Pity to see them disbanding as for 60-65 minutes they had a simple, effective gameplan and had control of the game. They deserved the win but we've been in their position many times in the past. Hopefully another Italian side can be formed as its important for the league and Italian Rugby.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7012

we fucking robbed them blind, no way should we have won that but we lost them games so many times this season.

jarvis, take a bow, balls of steal.

ray i tapped you on the back as you left the field alone right after the end, so prode and talked to you for that split second you took that picture before rushing of. you really are a shy guy. in and out in 1min,

keith matthews, well well well. you are my hero. you stood there for 30mins at least answering questions with other 3lads but at the end when they gave you your picture and entered into hall off fame you left the stage in tears, it hit you there, i followed you out side and spoke to you for awhile. you smiled when i told you at least you had a reason to be sad, i was only a fool for them tears, very sad day.
i made you laugh when i told you, you better have a season ticket for next year and i better see you here,

rugby is so much more. id give my right arm to see them both in the green jersey next year.

hero hero hero

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2, connachtexile

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7013

The IMF wrote:
Delighted to hear young Buckley continues to develop into a really strong option for us in the front row. Bodes really well for the prop positions next term which compensates a bit for the lack of strength of at hooker.

Buckley was one of our better performers on the whole, he made some good carries, but after a strong start Aironi started getting the squeeze on him in the scrum. Still though I think he's developing well and the game time he's getting against battle hardened Italian props can only benefit him.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7015

Connacht are now on course for a best ever league finish of eighth.

Didn't think i'd see this at the end of the season! Especially the way we started it :sick:

ray i tapped you on the back as you left the field alone right after the end, so prode and talked to you for that split second you took that picture before rushing of. you really are a shy guy. in and out in 1min,

keith matthews, well well well. you are my hero. you stood there for 30mins at least answering questions with other 3lads but at the end when they gave you your picture and entered into hall off fame you left the stage in tears, it hit you there, i followed you out side and spoke to you for awhile. you smiled when i told you at least you had a reason to be sad, i was only a fool for them tears, very sad day.
i made you laugh when i told you, you better have a season ticket for next year and i better see you here,

rugby is so much more. id give my right arm to see them both in the green jersey next year.

hero hero hero

Thanks for that Swift. I'd love to hear about the forum after if someone would stick up a commentary when they get a chance?

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7016

connachtexile wrote:
Didn't think i'd see this at the end of the season! Especially the way we started it :sick:

Ah, but we started the season well, it just just that main bit in between.

Would be great to get a win against Glasgow in our last game, but with Scarlets closing in on them after yesterdays result, Glasgow will need to win both their remaining fixtures to make sure of a semi final spot.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 4 months ago #7018

Hey CE,
Will get a review of the events up once I get the pics from the photographer (volunteer member actually). I missed a few of the questions as I was running around trying to see what Ray's ETA was (he kept us waiting, the diva), but I was there for most of it. Was good craic, but we still had some problems with noise from the back of the room. Will need to route some audio to fill the bar fully for next season (if we have the funds).

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

logo