Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Aironi - Match Thread - Sat 21/04/12

More
12 years 3 months ago #6935

Great news for saturday Linley says Ray is expected to have recovered to make the line up for his final home game.

www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/51302/c...sportsground-fixture

She doesn't mention the composition of the front row but confirms Wilko is out, hoping Buckley gets the start but will be interesting to see what way Dan wants to play it.

Nice to see the Clan awards getting a mention at the end there as well (if we are giving out a award to Best Journalist of the season - Linley gets my vote).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 months ago #6936

Razor good to go, woo-hoooo...!!! :woohoo:

Connacht squad to face Aironi
Thursday, 19 April 2012 10:57

Connacht Rugby have announced an extended squad to face Aironi this weekend (The Sportsground – Saturday 21st April – kick-off 17.00)

There is only one omission from last week’s squad with Brett Wilkinson sidelined after picking up a calf injury in the victory over Ulster last weekend. Ray Ofisa has recovered from the knock that saw him replaced early on in that match and Adrian Flavin will face a late fitness test to assess his availability after missing out last weekend.

Connacht are looking to finish the season on a high and after recent victories over the Dragons and Ulster Eric Elwood’s men are well placed to climb the RaboDirect PRO12 table. Just two points separate Connacht from the Dragons and Treviso and a best ever eighth place finish is certainly within reach.

Connacht Rugby will throw open it’s doors for a family fun day this Saturday. From 2.30pm the Sportsground will be transformed with bouncy castles, obstacle courses, rugby skills, meet the players and much more. Further details can be found on www.connachtrugby.ie

Connacht squad to face Aironi:

Forwards:

Ronan Loughney, Stewart Maguire, Denis Buckley, Rodney Ah You, Ethienne Reynecke, Dermot Murphy, Adrian Flavin, Michael Swift, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon, Johnny O’Connor, Ray Ofisa, George Naoupu

Backs:

Frank Murphy, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Matthew Jarvis, Eoin Griffin, Henry Fa’afili, Kyle Tonetti, Tiernan O’Halloran, Fetu’u Vainikolo, James Loxton, Gavin Duffy (C)

More
12 years 3 months ago #6947

sea_point wrote: Forwards:

Ronan Loughney, Stewart Maguire, Denis Buckley, Rodney Ah You, Ethienne Reynecke, Dermot Murphy, Adrian Flavin, Michael Swift, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon, Johnny O’Connor, Ray Ofisa, George Naoupu

Backs:

Frank Murphy, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Matthew Jarvis, Eoin Griffin, Henry Fa’afili, Kyle Tonetti, Tiernan O’Halloran, Fetu’u Vainikolo, James Loxton, Gavin Duffy (C)

Good to see Maguire in the squad again, but does this mean Ah You and Locks are starting? Bit strange if he puts two TH's on the bench. Suprised Rogers isnt in there

More
12 years 3 months ago #6951

If Ah you is starting we will be under the kosh from the start.
Scrum will not function and we POSSIBLY will become the first and last team to loose a home match against Aironi in the Pro 12.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 months ago #6958

Aironi Team announced...

AironiRugby wrote: AIRONI MAKE JUST ONE CHANGE TO FACE CONNACHT

For immediate release Friday 20th April 2012
Issued on behalf of Aironi Rugby

Aironi fly to Galway to face Connacht tomorrow at the Sportsground (Saturday, kick-off at 5 pm) for their last away match of the season. After playing a good game game against the Scarlets a week ago but collecting just a defensive bonus point, coming up short to lose 23-26, the Italian side has its last opportunity of the 2011-2012 season to achieve a win away from Stadio Zaffanella (where they beat Connacht twice). Ian Davies takes charge of the match, his first in the RaboDirect PRO12.

There’s just one change in the Aironi starting XV. Giovanbattista Venditti is back on the wing, with Sinoti Sinoti switching to outside centre in place of Gilberto Pavan, who starts from the bench.

Fullback Tito Tebaldi, wing Giulio Toniolatti and inside centre Matteo Pratichetti complete the back line, while Luciano Orquera and Tyson Keats pair up again in the halves.

There are no changes in the pack. Josh Sole is at number 8 and flankers Nicola Cattina and Simone Favaro complete the back row, captain Marco Bortolami and Quintin Geldenhuys are the locks. In the front row Matias Aguero and Lorenzo Romano are the props with Fabio Ongaro hooking.

The game in Galway will be pretty special for Paolo Buso. After playing in three games and scorin 12 points (3 penalties and a drop goal) last season coming from a long injury break, Buso was injured again during the summer. Now, after a long recovery, Aironi’s utility back is ready to go again and collects his first call-up of the season in the matchday squad and will start from the bench.

AIRONI: 15 Tito Tebaldi; 14 Giulio Toniolatti, 13 Sinoti Sinoti, 12 Matteo Pratichetti, 11 Giovanbattista Venditti; 10 Luciano Orquera, 9 Tyson Keats; 8 Josh Sole, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Nicola Cattina; 5 Marco Bortolami (cap), 4 Quintin Geldenhuys; 3 Lorenzo Romano, 2 Fabio Ongaro, 1 Matias Aguero.

Replacements: 16 Tommaso D’Apice, 17 Alberto De Marchi, 18 Luca Redolfini, 19 Joshua Furno, 20 Nick Williams, 21 Naas Olivier, 22 Gilberto Pavan, 23 Paolo Buso.

Coach: Rowland Phillips

More
12 years 3 months ago #6959

Connacht XV to Face Aironi:
15. Duffy 14. O'Halloran 13. Tonetti 12. Fa'afili 11. Vainikolo 10. Nikora 9. Murphy
1. Buckley 2. Reynecke 3. Loughney 4. Swift 5. McCarthy 6. Muldoon 7. Ofisa 8. Muldoon
16. Flavin 17. Maguire 18. Ah You 19. Kearney 20. J O'Connor 21. O'Dobnohoe 22. Jarvis 23. Griffin

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #6960

Great to see Buckley give his start, proper decision.

Glad to see Ray and Henry starting in their final home games. I hope they're given a rousing send off.

And I hope we also give Aironi a respectful goodbye as well. We came very close to disappearing not to long ago.

Justice 4 Faruk

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 months ago #6975

ummm, wrote: Great to see Buckley give his start, proper decision.

Glad to see Ray and Henry starting in their final home games. I hope they're given a rousing send off.

And I hope we also give Aironi a respectful goodbye as well. We came very close to disappearing not to long ago.

Henry starting again is pretty damning of the decision not to retain him.

17 Pro12 games this season so far and 13 of these were starts... (Add on 3 more for HEC with 1 start). Be nice to see him finish with a try or two..

C'mon someone get the cheque book out....

Agree about Aironi, regardless of the result hopefully supporters will hang around and wish them well at the end...

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 months ago #6977

If we don't have the cash then I guess the decision not to retain him wasn't on rugby grounds.

Didn't the PGB go over budget this year with renovations etc? I seem to remember reading that.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would have loved to have kept Henry.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 3 months ago #6979

AironiRugby wrote: Aironi fly to Galway to face Connacht tomorrow at the Sportsground (Saturday, kick-off at 5 pm) for their last away match of the season. After playing a good game game against the Scarlets a week ago but collecting just a defensive bonus point, coming up short to lose 23-26, the Italian side has its last opportunity of the 2011-2012 season to achieve a win away from Stadio Zaffanella (where they beat Connacht twice). Ian Davies takes charge of the match, his first in the RaboDirect PRO12.,</strong>

I guess there's no point in dwelling on it, but they seem to be going to the extreme to avoid saying this is the last chance ever to get that away win.

I hope Ray is able to put in a full shift or at least 60+ minutes, I think there's a try in it if he does. Yes, it does become abundantly clear that the decision to let Henry go is all down to money. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself since it's only been a few games really, but with the way Nikora is playing Connacht probably could have done without Parks and kept Henry on the books.

Connacht should win this one with a little to spare, but make no mistake Aironi will be coming to play. Keeping their discipline and Nikora taking all points on offer will be imperative. It's no time for a slip up, they need to finish off at the Sportsground strong.

More
12 years 3 months ago #6981

ummm, wrote: If we don't have the cash then I guess the decision not to retain him wasn't on rugby grounds.

Didn't the PGB go over budget this year with renovations etc? I seem to remember reading that.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would have loved to have kept Henry.

The branch got 250K from the IRFU to build the clan stand, which was not nearly enough. The government then covered the remainder (just over 400K if I remember correctly).

They've given full contracts to Dave Mc and Griffin, added Dave Gannon mid-season and retained him (I'm not counting Tonetti as that was, unfortunately, a one-in-one-out scenario) and signed White, Parks and Faloon, so it's hardly surprising Henry's been let go.

From a playing point of view you'd want to keep him, but most of these decisions were probably made at the start of the year, and while he's been playing brilliantly since New Year, I think it's fair to say that at that point he mightn't have looked worth keeping on high wages.

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago #6983

RogueXV wrote:

AironiRugby wrote: I hope Ray is able to put in a full shift or at least 60+ minutes

Would only be right to take him off to the ovation he deserves

More
12 years 3 months ago #6984

we should try chanting RAZOR RAZOR RAZOR mid way through the first half. they will be tears :(

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 3 months ago #6986

connachtexile wrote: That's the live one on after the last game? Will be Ray be attending? Does anyone know about Keith Matthews?

I'm in Oz at the mo so won't be there. :( Would dearly love to be as well.

Ray will be there, but not to answer questions. He's a bit shy for that!

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 months ago #6987

Diom wrote:

connachtexile wrote: That's the live one on after the last game? Will be Ray be attending? Does anyone know about Keith Matthews?

I'm in Oz at the mo so won't be there. :( Would dearly love to be as well.

Ray will be there, but not to answer questions. He's a bit shy for that!

Can someone bring a camera and upload some photo's of the game and the Q&A/Presentations, think those of us not able to go to the game or out of the country would like to see the moment captured.

More
12 years 3 months ago #7000

What is going on? Conceding try and penalty in quick secession? Stuck listening Galway Dublin. Arrrgh!

Come on Lads!

Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by RogueXV.

logo