• swift4prez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 4 weeks ago #25590

Dave Finn had update yesterday but we dont have thread so here goes

Squad Update ahead of Dragons game
19th March 2014

After a three-week break in games and the excitement of the RBS 6 Nations Championship, it’s back to PRO12 business this week. Connacht Rugby will travel to Rodney Parade on Sunday 23rd March (KO 3:05pm) looking for their fourth successive win in the league and the chance to climb the competition table.

Two bonus point wins against Italian sides Zebre and Treviso and victory over Edinburgh last month has moved Pat Lam’s men up to ninth place in the current standings and the squad trained at the Sportsground today ahead of the trip to Wales at the weekend.

Paul O’Donohoe (back), Craig Ronaldson (groin), Brett Wilkinson (neck), and James Rael (quad) all remain unavailable for selection this week.

During the break, there were also a number of players involved with the Connacht Eagles as well as in club games around the country.

Loose forward George Naoupu suffered rib cartilage damage playing for the Eagles against Munster ‘A’ in Limerick and will be unavailable for PRO12 action this week.

Also starting that game was flanker Conor Gilsenan. The 21-year-old injured his leg in the first half but has returned to training this week. The coaching staff will be looking for more game time for him ahead of a senior call up.

Prop Ronan Loughney, on his return from injury, came through the Eagles’ game without any problems and will be available to for the Dragons’ clash on Sunday.

Following last Friday’s Ulster Bank League Division 1B derby clash between Corinthians RFC and Buccaneers RFC, Aaron Conneely (hamstring) and Conor Kindregran (ankle) both featured on the casualty list at Dubarry Park. The two players will be sidelined for 4-5 weeks.

Connacht also welcomed back Robbie Henshaw who celebrated the 6 Nations championship with Ireland in France at the weekend. The 20-year-old back is available to play this weekend.

The Connacht team to face Dragons is set to be announced at noon on Friday.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Connacht Rugby
Sunday 23rd March
At Rodney Parade, 3.05pm.

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 60th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Neil Hennessy, Simon Rees (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)

Live on BBC Wales; delayed highlights on TG4 (17:40)

thats a lot of injury after having a break, unlucky tha tAaron Conneely and Conor Kindregran were both taken out in the same game.

my team for the match:

Buckley
Jhw
Rodney
swift
muldowney
kearney
Browne
muldoon

KM
Parks
Carr
mcsharry
griffin
ToH
henshaw

Heffernan
Locks
white
qualter/nolan (only 3 fit forwards left for the bench)?????
mckeon
not frank murphy, blade/or heally
carthy
poolman

pity the game isnt live on tg4, but i guess something is better then nothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 4 weeks ago #25595

Is masterson injured? I'd probably have him at 7, Kearney in second row and swift on the bench (or vice versa not a big deal).

Also if Healy isn't injured (not sure)I'd probably have him on the wing, TOH at fb and McSharry/Henshaw centre. But I'd also be interested in looking at Healy at 9, but you have to assume there was a reason he didn't continue on in that position after the u-20s?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #25596

Was Lam at the Bucs v Corinthians games? Apparently Carty outshone Nikora so you would hope he is rewarded with place in squad

Hate to be negative to our own players but getting to ABFM (anyone but Frank Murphy) for sh replacement

If Poolman is fit he deserves to start- when on form he is our best winger. Harsh to drop Carr or TOH though.. nice headache for Lam for once

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25608

Will there be a Clan event in The Dail for this?

It would save me messing about with IP unblockers and the like. Plus I could go for pints on a Sunday.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25618

Rabo Direct Pro 12 Round 16
Newport-Gwent Dragons v Connacht Sunday 23rd March 15.05
On TV: BBC Wales (Delayed Coverage TG4)

After the excitement and drama of a rare Irish 6 nations championship success, its back to the bread and butter of league action this weekend. After picking up 14 points from their 3 previous games the league break came at a bad time for Connacht. Connacht will be hoping to continue to build momentum heading into the final section of the season but will face a tough challenge against a Dragons side who have been strong at home this season, recording 5 home successes and 2 losing bonus points from their 7 home league games this season.

Dragons Stats
Founded: 2003
Ground: Rodney Parade
Capacity: 11,676
Captain: Andrew Coombs
Coach: Darren Edwards

Rabo Direct Pro12 League Position 2013/14: 7th P:15 Pts: 28
European Challenge Cup 2013/14: 2nd in Pool 2 Points: 14
Anglo Welsh Cup: 2013/14: 4th in Pool 1 Points: 4

Recent Results
Ulster 38-8 Dragons
Dragons 24-23 Glasgow
Leinster 31-19 Dragons

Next Fixture:
Saturday 29th March 2014 16.00 (local time) Zebre v Dragons @ Stadio XXV Aprile

Amlin Challenge Cup (Pool 2) (Final Standings)
Bath 28
Dragons 14
Begles-Bordeaux 14
Mogliano 0

Previous Meetings

Saturday 21st December 2013 Rabo Direct Pro 12: Connacht 14-11 Dragons

www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/13650.php

Saturday 5th January 2013 Rabo Direct Pro 12: Connacht 30-11 Dragons

www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/2494.php

Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Borders no.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Decadence, clanman

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25624

Henshaw, toh, Griff, mcshaz, Carr, parks, Marmion, Buckley, jhw, Dave, muldowney, Kearney, mul, Masterson, McKeon.
That's the starters.
Heffernan, loughney, white, swift, Browne, Murphy, nikoro, leader.

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25625

Probably best team that could be expected, its not a huge problem but I just feel its important to see more of Henshaw at 13 knowing that Griffin is on the way out, or even another player if there's an option (not for an away game though). Hope Murphy can bring a positive impact off the bench.

Dragons have a good home record this season and won't have missed too many players in the six nations, this will be tough, I hope Lam has figured out a way to bring balance to that second/back row combo.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25627

Newport Gwent Dragons team to face Connacht Rugby

Daniel Evans, Tom Prydie, Ross Wardle, Jack Dixon, Will Harries, Jason Tovey, Richie Rees; Owen Evans, Hugh Gustafson, Bruce Douglas, Andrew Coombs (c), Rob Sidoli, Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, Netani Talei.

Replacements:

Elliot Dee, Phil Price, Duncan Bell, Matthew Screech, Taulupe Faletau, Wayne Evans, Ashley Smith, Matthew Pewtner.

www.newportgwentdragons.com/News/Article/33532

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25628

No Poolman or Healy... :unsure:

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25631

True about Henshaw.Being categorised as a Utility player has mixed results.McFadden is a good example.

Good chance for points Sunday .Worried about the forwards though as they collectively seem a bit light and lacking a bit of grunt.

Cracking looking backline though but need to be on the front foot.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25632

pinky wrote:

Will there be a Clan event in The Dail for this?

It would save me messing about with IP unblockers and the like. Plus I could go for pints on a Sunday.

I'm away at a wedding, but I think that the lads are looking at options... Will ask them for an update.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25634

Yep, we'll be in the Dail from approx 2.30 onwards. We'll be streaming the match, and are fairly confident that we'll get a good picture and that technical difficulties will be kept to a bare minimum.

If there is a problem, Diom has consented to take ALL the flack. Good man, Diom.

The following user(s) said Thank You: swift4prez, overstrander

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25635

Frank Murphy on the bench? Is POD injured? Otherwise a decent team.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25638

For the most part the team I would have expected considering injuries. Thought Swifty might have started. Anyone know about Poolman? Was hoping he might get a long awaited start, but he's not in the squad at all. Injured? This is winnable but obviously everyone must step up especially Parks & Muldowney and Loughney, Murphy and Nikora when they come on.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25639

Is anyone going to it?

I'm going over but not getting tickets until I get there so gonna get them for the same section if anyone else is there.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #25643

Sol_ie wrote: Yep, we'll be in the Dail from approx 2.30 onwards. We'll be streaming the match, and are fairly confident that we'll get a good picture and that technical difficulties will be kept to a bare minimum.

If there is a problem, Diom has consented to take ALL the flack. Good man, Diom.

Why don't ye put in codes for BBC Wales?
10778,v,22000,5/6 if u don't have them.

Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by rossie.

logo