Topic-icon Player of the Year/Young Player of the Year

• Sol_ie
  • Sol_ie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 2 months ago #24496

Hi all

No where near that time of the year, but there was a bit of discussion last year about the criteria for eligibility for Young Player of the Year.

Last year to qualify, a player had to be 23 or younger at the start of the season. This year (and from here on out) the suggestion is that we do it by who has not yet turned 24 by the end of the season (i.e. 1st June 2014). So, if you turn 24 on 31st May, you’re not in the running for young player. Let us know what you think.

There was a suggestion last year that once a player wins Young Player they would no longer be eligible for Young Player and would have to compete in Player. (i.e. are Kieran Marmion and Robbie Henshaw in the running for Young Player this year?)

Can you be eligible for both Player of the Year, and Young Player of the Year? This might give rise to a situation where a player might win Player of the Year but not Young Player. Bit of an oddity.

Anything else we should clarify?

Get to voting here: docs.google.com/forms/d/1OSCSS87796FWCxQ...AgPrH1WKULI/viewform

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Sol_ie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #24501

Previous YPotY winners no longer being eligible makes sense of sorts. They can think of it as a promotion :)

I think you can be eligible for both, otherwise a judgement call has to be made on which list a player can be put in, which can pre-empt/prejudice the outcome.

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: mahick

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 2 months ago #24502

Personally I dislike the idea of discounting previous winners. If you are good enough and young enough you should win it.

If you are young enough to qualify for YPotS but are nominated for PotS then I think that that should disqualify you from nomination in YPotS. So Henshaw could win YPotS again, unless he is nominated for PotS, in which case he is discounted from the YPotS.

The easiest way to do it of course is that if you are eligible for YPotS then you are ineligible for PotS. So basically two entirely separate competitions. Of course that means that PotS might not be the best player of the season!

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Diom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wasrednowgreen

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #24504

Didn't Gareth Bale win both in the Premiership equivalent a couple of years ago? If it's good enough for them.....

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

• Sol_ie
  • Sol_ie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 2 months ago #24505

My call would be that you're of the age, you're eligible for young player only, regarldess of whether you're the best player on the team or if you've won it before. Makes things cleaner.

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #24508

Sol_ie wrote: My call would be that you're of the age, you're eligible for young player only, regarldess of whether you're the best player on the team or if you've won it before. Makes things cleaner.

I wouldn't agree with that. The player of the year award should go to the player of the year, regardless of age.

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

More
10 years 2 months ago #24512

menacethedenis wrote:

Sol_ie wrote: My call would be that you're of the age, you're eligible for young player only, regarldess of whether you're the best player on the team or if you've won it before. Makes things cleaner.

I wouldn't agree with that. The player of the year award should go to the player of the year, regardless of age.

Agree, for example jake heenan will be close to player off the year. He is well under 23.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 2 months ago #24516

swift4prez wrote:

menacethedenis wrote:

Agree, for example jake heenan will be close to player off the year. He is well under 23.

Young PLayer should always be a once off award, it's really a breakthrough award for young players starting to make an impression in the First XV...

The following user(s) said Thank You: theCulk, mahick

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 2 months ago #24522

sea_point wrote: Young PLayer should always be a once off award, it's really a breakthrough award for young players starting to make an impression in the First XV...

What if we don't have a breakthrough player on the senior team?

A Connacht is for Life

More
10 years 2 months ago #24525

To my mind, it makes sense to have both awards. If the person being awarded the player of the year award would also have been eligible for the young player award, then just give the young player award to someone else.

More
10 years 2 months ago #24529

What if player of year is under 23, rather then giving another player a young player off year, could it be changed to stand out player off year.

Think it would be weird for player of the year not winning young player if he was under 23

More
10 years 2 months ago #24544

Of course a young player should be eligible to be nominated for both awards.

4 potential outcomes:
1) He wins both
2) He wins neither
3) He wins PotS but not YPotS
4) He wins YPotS but not PotS

I also disagree that YPotS should only be a once off award..
Change the award to "Breakthrough Player of the Year" if that is the case imo

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #24549

I can't imagine a scenario where a player would win PotY but not YPotY, unless there were some favouritism for a young player who was more popular among fans. But, realistically, is it even likely?

Justice 4 Faruk

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 2 months ago #24570

Yeah people will probably spread their votes. For example if Henshaw is in both, people might vote for him and then vote for Marmion in YPotS just "to be fair". So Henshaw could win PotS but not YPotS despite being eligible. This is my main issue with the setup as is.

What we could do is run the PotS first and if the winner is eligible for YPotS then they automatically win it.

A Connacht is for Life

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #24579

How about one big list and the highest placing player under 23 wins the YPotS?

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: paratro

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 2 months ago #24589

ummm, wrote: How about one big list and the highest placing player under 23 wins the YPotS?

If a senior player is dominating the vote then maybe no one will vote for an under 23 player. Or if a lot of people vote for the senior players and only a very few vote for the under 23 the vote will not be representative.

We would have to do a PR system! :blink:

A Connacht is for Life

logo