Search Our Site

Topic-icon Niall O'Connor

• connachtexile
  • connachtexile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 7 months ago #2290

During the summer I and alot of others had a right go at the Niall O'Connor signing. Now that a few games have gone by how do people rate him? Dud/Hit/Inbetween?

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #2291

Dud. But we expected nothing else. He's kicked his goals well but other than that he's been found wanting

More
12 years 7 months ago #2294

from what i seen of him up north i thought he was good, my mistake. now we are stuck with him for 2 years.
fingers crossed he improves.
i think where connacht need to spend money is on a scrum half who is also able to play at 10 and also kick at goal. ie pienner, parra etc. im not saying them but someone like that. would be money well spent

More
12 years 7 months ago #2295

Better than I thought he would be but he can be found severely lacking about the pitch. He has a habit of throwing some horrendous passes to bootlaces when we're making breaks.

I really don't think that he should have been brought on in Ravenhill. Firstly, there was pressure on him to both change the game and prove something to the home crowd; the upshot of this was his "banana kick" from hand that would have made Rivelino proud. Secondly, I'm a big fan of Jarvis and if there was to be any kicking from hand done, I'd rather his spudgun of a boot did it.

On the plus side, he has got a lot of his confidence back; I remember watching him in an Ulster game last year when he was kicking 30-40% and he looked like he'd just been ambushed by the Viet Cong and watched his buddies die face down in the mud.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 7 months ago #2298

Dunno, don't think he's a world beater really but he's not rubbish either by any stretch. We really need a flyhalf with a touch of arogance about him which I think our three options lack. None are perfect and I think they all now that they are close enough in terms of ability which is inhibiting all their performances. Which of our flyhalf options has really shone so far, none really. O'Connor to his disadvantage came with some preconceptions which he hasn't really managed to quell just yet. But I don't think he's been an absolute disaster either...

I wan't to see our fly halves have the balls to have a real cut at oppo defences (and our scrumhalfs too), we're still far to lateral as a team and need our half backs to sniff out some space if there is any to get behind the gain line early and give our midfield and outside backs a little time and space. As is we just shuffle across the park taking it up, reclying and gradually getting slower until the oppo can target a carrier and either drive them back or get a hand or a boot in on a pass.

Still think we should be looking at Gareth Steenson in the Summer though...

More
12 years 7 months ago #2320

Still think we should be looking at Gareth Steenson in the Summer though...

Isn't replacing NOC with Steenson a bit like replacing mash with chips?

If we really want a player to take the ball to (and through) the opposition defensive line wouldn't Scott Deasy or Ian Madigan make more sense?

More
12 years 7 months ago #2322

Isn't replacing NOC with Steenson a bit like replacing mash with chips?

If we really want a player to take the ball to (and through) the opposition defensive line wouldn't Scott Deasy or Ian Madigan make more sense?

Madigan has a future at Leinster an he knows that, even if its no2 to Sexton

Deasy is the proverbial case of jack of all trades, master of none. He can play pretty much anywhere across the backline, and he doesn't know his best position. I wouldn't be too keen on him. We need a fly half who's going to control the game, grab it by the scruff of the neck, and reward a pack which does serious donkey work and give them territory and kick our 3 pointers

More
12 years 7 months ago #2324

Madigan has a future at Leinster an he knows that, even if its no2 to Sexton

I don't think they bought Berquist to play third fiddle, so I'd quibble with you on that. As for Scott Deasy, you probably have a point, reminds me of the old soccer chestnut about Utility Player being shorthand for "rubbish in more than one position".

More
12 years 7 months ago #2327

Berquist is a long term injury victim as well as having only a 1 year deal. Madigan has shown in his appearances this year that he has alot of potential and I'm sure Leinster have recognised this and give him plenty of gametime to keep him happy

More
12 years 7 months ago #2328

Berquist is a long term injury victim as well as having only a 1 year deal. Madigan has shown in his appearances this year that he has alot of potential and I'm sure Leinster have recognised this and give him plenty of gametime to keep him happy

Berquist looked to be the choice before his injury though I'd agree with you Madigan is better.

You'd hope he'd want to be number 1 somewhere and push for international recognition.

There's a window in the next 2 years for someone to force their way in as Sexton's backup/challenger at international level before Paddy Jackson and Keatley replace Humphreys and O'Gara at Ulster and Munster respectively. He won't do that playing Glasgow and Aironi during the Six Nations.

And God knows we have a vacancy. :)

Of course Maybe we should be looking at our own under-20s outhalves instead of conforming to our "Leinster B" traditions. Anyone think either of them has what it takes to step up next season?

More
12 years 7 months ago #2338

Jack Carty has alot of potential. We'll see, he's playing very well for Buccs

More
12 years 7 months ago #2345

Think it was a bit rich having Jarvis playing up in Ballymena recently.

From the few minutes he's got at the Sportsground this season, he's got more about him than O'Connor in terms of opening a game up and giving us that something special we need.

We are, in relative terms, forward rich and back poor at present. A bit of guile to break the 22 and 10 lines is badly needed.

Still , what do I know.................................... :(

More
12 years 7 months ago #2351

As expected really, has had some good kicking displays but really offers little in terms of getting the backline moving but then again its difficult with some of the players he has around him. Jarvis would be my favoured option at 10 but he is in the early stages of his development. Nikora imo is an impact player.

• Greendragon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #2352

I agree Borders.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 7 months ago #2356

We are, in relative terms, forward rich and back poor at present. A bit of guile to break the 22 and 10 lines is badly needed.

We are like Munster were for a generation, except they could afford to buy in quality to fill 3/4's of their backline....

Now they are buying in Front Row as well....

• connachtexile
  • connachtexile's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 7 months ago #2364

With McKinley retired and Berqusit out on a 4 month injury, Madigan is now 2nd choice at Leinster so he's not going anywhere. While I like Steenson I don't think he'd add anything new to the mix. I'll be interested to see if they give Tonetti a shot at 10. Deasy is in his mid-20's and if he hasn't broken through he's not going to at this stage. You can only be labelled with 'Potential' for so long.

Like I said last season when they signed NOC we should have gone after James McKinney. He's behind Humphries, Wallace and Paddy Jackson whose only 21. The guy's more of a ROG than a Sexton but still quality.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by .

logo